Her Health Matters: What You Need to Know
“When women take care of their health, they become their best friend.”- Maya Angelou
Women are always on the go, busy taking care of everyone around them and their needs while ignoring their health and taking it for granted. Women’s health is generally determined by her genetics, the environment around her along with the socioeconomic conditions that greatly impact the quality of her life. The changing lifestyle of women is also a cause of concern for women’s health, such as diet, behaviors such as smoking and alcohol consumption, exercise affect women’s body differently.
This is also why women do face several health concerns at various phases in their life right from being adolescent girls to even after attaining menopause or becoming elderly. A healthy woman leads to a healthy family and healthy society, thus it is important to prioritize women's health so that women start taking care of themselves in all stages of life.
We, at Assurance by NanoHealth understand that concerns of women differ in different stages of life, hence we have got you covered no matter what age and what stage of life you are in, keep on reading!
Following are some common health-related issues women face at various periods in their life:
Adolescents to Adults
Females suffer at an early age from various health problems such as infections, nutrient deficiencies, and hormonal imbalances like PCOD, due to inconsistent nutrition, poor lifestyle, sleep disorders, less exercise, and stress. Hormonal imbalances in adolescent to adult females can be identified in many ways such as:
- Abnormal monthly cycles
- Weight gain
- Unexplained weight loss
- Increased hair growth
- Skin pigmentation
- Early or delayed puberty
- Mood swings
At this age health is taken for granted and women fail to recognize the early signs and symptoms of diseases, and hence getting screened annually to identify risk factors and eliminate them with better nutrition and lifestyle.
Adolescent girls and young women can now take care of their health even better! Avail of the Empower Her Health Package by Assurance by NanoHealth and improve your immunity. This health package is recommended for females to check their overall immunity due to their susceptibility to infections and growth disturbances due to any nutritional deficiencies like vitamin deficiencies, iron deficiency, and so on.
The Empower Her Health Package includes tests like CBC, Iron, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Calcium, and Magnesium along with PCOD screening, GP and dietician consultation. Enroll in the Empower Her Health Package and start living a healthier lifestyle!
Here are some tips for adolescent girls and women to prevent or manage their health conditions better:
1. Avoid eating junk food: Eating plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains as a balanced diet can help regulate hormones.
2. Exercise regularly: Regular exercising can help regulate hormones and improve overall health so aim to engage in physical activity for at least 30 minutes every day. You can also consider playing with friends, swimming, or walking home.
3. Manage stress: Stress can take a toll on your mental health and can disrupt hormonal imbalance. Practice mindfulness, yoga, or any other relaxation techniques to manage your stress better. You can also pursue hobbies like painting, dancing, crafting, etc. to relieve stress.
4. Get enough sleep: A good night’s sleep is essential to wake up fresh. Consider keeping all electronic gadgets away one hour before you are going to sleep.
5. Get screened annually: Consult with a healthcare provider and get yourself screened; do not wait for any symptoms to reveal and then see a doctor.
Young Adults to Elderly
In this age group, women are susceptible to different diseases like STDs (Sexually transmitted infections), breast cancer, postpartum depression, period problems, infertility issues, anemia, PCOD, etc. Infertility issues are a major problem because of PCOD which needs to be addressed and treated.
Some signs and symptoms at this stage of light are:
- Uterine fibroids
- Heavy bleeding
- Painful cramps
- Severe anemia
- Pregnant at young age
- Pregnancy at older age
- Irritability and mood swings
- Weakness in body
- Body pains
- Infections of urinary tract
- Thyroid disturbances
Here are some things women can do to prevent/treat infertility and hormonal and period-related issues:
1. Eat healthy foods: It is recommended to eat colorful fruits and vegetables, foods low in saturated fats, whole grains, etc. Being underweight or overweight can affect fertility and maintaining a healthy weight through a balanced diet and regular exercise is crucial.
2. Avoid alcohol and caffeine: Alcohol and caffeine both can affect your health and cause period and pregnancy-related problems. Therefore, it is good to limit their consumption altogether.
3. Do not smoke: Smoking can affect the health of both men and women and increase the risk of pregnancy-related complications. Quitting smoking is one of the best decisions you can take to improve your overall health and chances of pregnancy.
4. Reduce Stress: Stress can disrupt your hormonal balance; try meditating, yoga, or deep breathing or brain strengthening exercises. Try taking some time out for your own self and have a good work-life balance.
5. Get plenty of sleep: Lack of sleep can affect your hormones and can have a significant impact on your fertility, therefore getting ample sleep for 7-8 hours every night is important.
6. Treat underlying medical conditions: Certain medical conditions such as PCOD, endometriosis, and thyroid disorders can affect your health and fertility. Hence, it is important to treat these underlying conditions at the earliest and consult with your doctor.
7. Go for checkups and counseling: Women who are wanting to have a child should start planning for their pregnancy and should go for annual health checkups and preconception counseling to address health issues such as gestational diabetes, cycle regularization, weight loss, etc.
As women in this group are prone to various diseases, they need to address their underlying health issues while improving their hormonal balance and overall health. Therefore, Assurance by NanoHealth has created a special health package for women, WoW Women Wellness Package which is for adult, working women or housewives between 25 to 40 years to understand the basic functioning of all their organs along with a mental health assessment.
The package includes a screening questionnaire for depression, anxiety, assessment or mental health assessment, and a screening questionnaire to identify their health history for evaluating the complete health status along with various tests such as Complete Blood Count, Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, Random Blood Sugar, HbA1C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, etc. and doctor consultation. Get the WoW Women Wellness Package today!
Around this age, women undergo menopause and their risk for heart disease, depression, Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis, cancer, etc. also increases.
During menopause, a woman's ovaries stop producing eggs, and her menstrual cycles cease permanently. This happens at the age of 45- 55 but can occur earlier as well. Some effects of menopause include:
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Vaginal dryness
- Changes in mood
- Sleep disturbances
- Bone loss
- Urinary incontinence.
- Cancer- cervical, breast, etc.
- Some may have undergone hysterectomy
Elderly women also experience heart diseases as aging causes a change in the heart and blood vessels. One of the major causes of heart disease is the buildup of fatty deposits in the artery walls for many years, thus reducing the blood flow to the body's organs and parts of the body.
This can cause the heart muscle to become weak and/or get damaged resulting in heart failure, heart attacks, high blood pressure, etc.
Here are some things that elderly women should do to take care of their health:
1. Go for cancer screening: During this age, it is important to consider cancer screening. A mammogram, ultrasound, and pap smear along with blood checks are recommended for elderly women to do on an annual basis.
2. Go for regular checkups: To monitor their overall health and address any health concerns, elderly women must go for regular health checkups.
3. Stay fit and active: Elderly women should incorporate yoga, walking or swimming, or any other physical activity into their daily routine to maintain strength, mobility, cardiovascular health, and balance.
4. Eat healthy: Consume a well-balanced diet with whole foods, vegetables, and fruits that can provide the nutrients needed for overall energy and body functioning.
5. Stay active socially: Elderly women should consider joining or attending social events, and volunteering that can help reduce their feelings of loneliness and depression.
6. Pursue a passion: Is there any hobby you are interested in learning or want to pursue any hobby? It is important to keep yourself engaged, find a hobby that makes you feel better.
7. Take supplements: Supplements help support a healthy immune system. Elderly women should take supplements like vitamin D, calcium, vitamin B12, etc., and check with their doctors to know if they are safe for intake.
8. Take vaccinations to prevent infections: To stay healthy throughout the year, elderly women should get annual vaccinations that can protect them against viruses like the flu, pneumonia, etc.
Post-menopause is a critical age for cancer screening as women’s cancer risk rises around this age. Our team of health experts can help you achieve optimal health by doing regular follow-ups to stay on track with your health-related goals.
Get the Women Health 360 Package for elderly women who have attained menopause or are nearing menopause. With the help of this package, you can get screened for age-related diseases like cancer, osteoporosis, and heart health and also understand how well your organs are functioning.
The Women Health 360 Package includes tests like Complete Blood Count, Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate, Homocysteine, C-reactive protein test, Random Blood Sugar Test, HbA1C, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, etc., and Gynaecologist consultation along with Dietician consultation.
All the above 3 women’s special health packages are available on our Assurance by NanoHealth website and the app at a 15% discount for this month as we are celebrating you. Check our website www.nhassurance.com to know more or call our health experts at +91 91004 44004.